Semi-Raw Pineapple Rice
Photographed by Patricia Klammers
Entertaining for the holidays? Why not skip the usual turkey route and go for something more adventurous? This is actually red quinoa and raw cauliflower rice that mimics the popular “pineapple rice” and is healthy, low-carb, and super tasty. You can enjoy the same texture and flavor of rice without the guilt. Plus, this rice is quicker to make than the full carb version!
Semi-Raw “Pineapple Rice”
- 1 large head of cauliflower chopped by hand if possible to the size of rice grains (otherwise you can use the food processor but squeeze out the juices if any)
- 1 medium-sized tomato
- 1/2 cup of raw French beans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil or olive oil
- 1/cup of freshly chopped pineapple
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped pistachios and coriander toGarnish
- Chop the cauliflower by hand or into small florets and put them into a food processor. Squeeze out the juice, if any, with the help of a cheese cloth or a nut milk bag.
- If you are using the food processor, pulse until it’s small and looks like rice. You may need to scrape the sides of the food processor once
- Mix the cauliflower rice with the cooked quinoa. Add the chopped asparagus and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, mix well then add the sesame oil.
- The beauty of this particular cauliflower rice recipe is that you can make it semi-raw or fried like the popular pineapple rice dish it was modeled after. Just saute the cauliflower rice with some onions until soft. Then add the rest of the ingredients.